Work Experience Programme
Manchester Airport (MA) is the largest regional airport outside London. The Airport supports 19,000 jobs on the site contributing £3.2billion to the UK economy annually.
“ Our students find it difficult to find stimulating work experience and are often unprepared for the work place. This programme is exemplary in providing coaching and preparation in the first week and an interesting, challenging and fulfilling placement ”
Manchester Airport’s Work Experience Programme has been developed to inspire young people from the local community and raise aspirations. The business need is to have suitable and qualified young people ready to work and the Work Experience Programme delivers on this by:
- Providing training towards an NVQ in Customer Service; an essential skill for our business.
Awarding a Manchester Tourist award.
- Providing up to 6 months of practical work experience in 3 business areas.
- Application for a free airside pass - essential to gaining work at any airport.
- Providing payment of £195 per week for Student Tourist Ambassador Recruits.
Many people see work experience as an opportunity to turn up and just do odd jobs for one or two weeks, often working with a parent or friend. Offering that as an organisation is easy and often means that you can offer lots of places. Controlling the number of places, in order to offer a quality work experience that is meaningful and inspirational ,requires considerable persuasion and at times, managing disappointment. In Manchester Airport's third year of making changes to their work experience offer, they are now starting to show clear benefits and to get the message across to colleagues why they are doing this.
- 6 out of 19 young people have been offered permanent jobs on the Airport site as a result of the programme saving recruitment or agency costs.
- The internal Communications team have hosted 9 students from local school Piper Hill, making provision for students with physical and learning disabilities, Manager Liz said ‘hosting the students provides a learning experience for all of my team putting together a stimulating programme and has wider benefits helping all of our colleagues to understand more about diversity’.