Following in-depth research and consultation with local communities, the West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner has set up a £2 million fund to address the factors behind youth violence. It is seeking a comprehensive, community-led response with loal business playing their part. This event is an opportunity to find out more.
The Police and Crime Commisioners' Office is asking businesses to get involved by
- Giving skilled and motivated ex-offenders of all ages a second chance by offering a route into a meaningful, sustainable career
- Raising aspirations, teaching career pathways and developing employability skills to prevent young people from choosing the wrong path
- The Police and Crime Commissioner’s office is looking to understand and overcome the limitations businesses face when hiring people with an offending background. Organisations that actively employ ex-offenders say they make reliable, hard-working employees. One national high street brand reports an 83% retention rate for ex-offenders, much higher than for the rest of their workforce.
You will have the opportunity to learn and discuss:
- The Police and Crime Commissioner’s research report and recommendations
- The key challenges and barriers facing young people and ex-offenders in our affected communities
- Success stories from leading businesses working to reduce offending and create inclusive employment pathways
- Your existing barriers to making low-entry job opportunities accessible to people with an offending background
- How to adapt recruitment practices to ensure a fair and inclusive selection process
- How to support ex-offenders once in work (career advice/progression, safeguarding, confidentiality, mentoring etc.)
Light refreshments will be served.
This event will be of interest to HR practitioners, recruitment managers and CR professionals from both large and small businesses to explore practical ways in which the business community can support and employ people with an offending background.
This event is free to attend so please share with colleagues, customers, suppliers and other relevant contacts in your network.
Plase note, ticket sales close on 8th April 2019.
If you require more details please contact Andreea Tudor, Employment Programme Manager – West Midlands
Full joining instructions will be shared before the event.