Meeting Challenge 2030 ambitions – your unique journey
Roxarne Owen, Campaign Manager, Business in the Community (BITC) shares how businesses can accelerate on their own net zero carbon journey to meet Challenge 2030 ambitions.
This week we launched Challenge 2030 – Business in the Community’s (BITC’s) flagship campaign to accelerate the transformation to a future where the climate crisis is history.
Research by Route2 for BITC highlighted that £1.1 trillion of social cost of carbon can be avoided if UK businesses achieve net zero by 2030 rather than 2050. It can be difficult to digest this mammoth figure and translate it into day-to-day actions within your own role and across your business. Trying to explain the complex terminology can also be a barrier to communicating more widely – what even is net zero, or the social cost of carbon?! Don’t worry – BITC can help you get your head round the terms, the issues and the opportunities for action.
We have been working with our Net Zero Carbon Taskforce to help demystify the agenda and support BITC members to accelerate the transition to net zero. A range of resources have been developed to support you, from a jargon buster to help navigate the commonly used terms around this topic to factsheets outlining the opportunities and drivers to getting started on your journey and steps to take when setting your own net zero carbon target.
How you approach Challenge 2030 will be unique to your business and it is clear not one size fits all. By sharing the approaches our diverse members are taking, you will find a pathway that will help you accelerate your own net zero ambitions.
- Challenge 2030: Jargon Buster
- Target Setting: Getting started on your net zero journey
- Why now is the time to get started on your net zero journey:
- Living sustainably in lockdown
- Responsible Business – Building Back Better Workplaces – 16th July
- Mobilising Employees to take action on your net zero journey – 5th August
- Addressing supply chain emissions – 8th September
- Circular economy to accelerate transition to Net Zero – 15th September
- Natural carbon sinks and offsetting – 8th October
If you would like in depth, bespoke support, BITC is here to help through our Environment Partnership.
To find out more, speak to your Relationship Manager or contact Environment at BITC to discuss the opportunities.