Business in the Community Cymru ACT Training Inspiring Young Talent Winner 2019: Pobl Group
Pobl Group is the ACT Training Inspiring Young Talent winners after winning the title at The Wales Responsible Business Awards 2019.
The Pobl Group is a Swansea-based group of companies that offers homes, care and support that make a tangible difference to people’s lives. It runs the Pobl Academy, a career development programme aimed at those who may not have had the usual career opportunities.
Pobl Academy is a two-year programme aimed at customers who may have not had the opportunity to forge a career due to a range of barriers, including intellectual, psychological, physical and geographical. It aims to address disadvantaged young people who would otherwise be unemployed or in a low-paid job.
Via a robust support infrastructure, the programme’s aim is to broaden horizons, train people for vocations, create choices and ultimately lead them towards careers they love.
Each programme member has an opportunity to work in and explore each section of the business, choosing their favourite work area for their second year.
The programme brings both business and societal benefits in that it:
- broadens participants’ horizons and improves their skills and employment prospects
- recruits and retains young people from more diverse backgrounds
- brings young people out of poverty
- has doubled the number of young people in the business, thus making it more age-diverse
- creates a fresh approach and new leaders
- understands the needs of the next generation of customers and workforce.
“We decided to invest in the academy and those young people because it matches the ambitions of Pobl – and it makes business sense.
Developing a diverse workforce that reflects the community can enhance every business, and both Pobl and our academy members are already reaping the rewards.”Amanda Davies, Pobl Group Chief Executive Officer
Filter by type: