Aviva – Responsible Business Champion: Age
The Age Friendly Employer Award
Over-45s are the fastest growing population in the UK and Aviva intends to encourage this talent. Its Mid-Life MOT initiative provides a free, annual check-up for employees aged 45-and-over – supporting them in wealth, work and wellbeing.
Our people are our business. To serve our customers and succeed, we must provide all our people with the best support and create the best environment.Lindsey Rix, CEO of Aviva Savings & Retirement
- Employment participation: The UK continues to witness a collapse in employment participation as people progress through their 50s. This represents a huge waste of talent experience and potential. The Mid-life MOT can help stem this collapse.
- Productivity: Labour productivity in the UK has stalled over the past decade. The over-50s represent the fastest growing labour cohort, by age. The Mid-life MOT can be an investment in UK productivity.
- Health and financial readiness: As the state pension age rises, we can expect a longer working life. The Mid-Life MOT can help people prepare for this future, by guiding health and financial wellbeing.
- Retention: the over-45s carry a total of 85,000 years of corporate memory. The Mid-life MOT is helping to retain this invaluable talent pool.
- Engagement: the over-45s now represent a third of Aviva’s people in the UK. The Mid-life MOT is boosting their levels of engagement, and their contribution to Aviva’s goals.
- Wellbeing: Those in mid-life are the most stressed in the UK (ONS). The Mid-life MOT helps people navigate today’s pressures, for their and for Aviva’s wellbeing.
- Aviva currently estimates it is securing a £3 return on every £1 it is investing in the Mid-life MOT
- Positive movements against its business scorecard among its 45-plus population: o Engagement: +2% above.
Lindsey Rix, CEO of Aviva Savings & Retirement: “Our people are our business. To serve our customers and succeed, we must provide all our people with the best support and create the best environment. “The Mid-life MOT is a great example of Aviva rising to this responsibility. “Age represents one of the biggest dynamics in our business today. Our customers are ageing and our people are ageing. One-in-three of our people are now over the age of 45, representing our fastest growing employee population. “Resting on employment practices of yesterday will hold us back from winning tomorrow. “The Mid-life MOT looks to the future and meets the needs of our ageing workforce. And by investing in our people, our people will win, our customers will win, and Aviva will win.”
Together we can