Heron Bros – Responsible Business Champion: Place
The Connected Places Award
Heron Bros’ ‘Construction Academy and Social Value Charter’ tackles inequalities across the cities and regions in which it operates. It aims to be an inclusive growth model – driving positive social and economic outcomes and addressing health inequalities.
Heron Bros recognises that responsible business practices create value for our business and is critical to our future.Martin O’Kane, Group Dept Managing Director, Heron Bros
- Its Construction Academy and Inclusive Growth Model has resulted in a social value outcome of £850,000, from a construction delivery budget of £30,000.
- LTP construction benefited over 1,300 residents and 27 local community, education and social groups.
- Heron Bros has supported aH pathway onto sustained employment for those furthest from the labour market, resulting in 57% sustained employment rate and 92% employment rate overall.
- Its Go Social Enterprise Fund assists local social enterprises for additional staff, business improvement and digital expansion.
- The company organises activities designed to increase potential business for local traders with initiatives such as West£pend Traders Support and Buy Local/Christmas Lights & Summer Fair.
- Heron Bros has invested over £25,000 into local community and sporting groups to improve physical and mental health.
- Heron Bros has an engaged and skilled workforce with reduced staff turnover and absenteeism.
- It has an increased talent pool of labour for a sector with severe skill shortages.
- Heron Bros has a high retention of staff retention and s reduced staff turnover, from 3.2% in 2014 down to 2.6% in 2018.
- Gained increased media coverage through implementation and improved relationships with local residents and no anti-social behaviour/crime recorded on the sites.
- Successfully entered into the UK and ROI construction markets by increasing project delivery from 30% to 50%.
Martin O’Kane, Group Dept Managing Director, Heron Bros said: “Heron Bros recognises that responsible business practices create value for our business and is critical to our future. We have placed responsible business practices and community investment at the core of our business strategy to ensure we continue to challenge our business and industry to drive added value through quality and sustainability.”
TOGETHER WE CAN BECOME PARTNERS IN CHANGE
Sodexo – Responsible Business Champion: Environment
Sodexo, creating a Better Tomorrow
Octopus Energy – Responsible Business Champion: Environment
Octopus Energy. Doing energy better — for the community and the environment
Northumbrian Water Group – Responsible Business Champion: Environment
Northumbrian Water Group is caretakers of the water in its regions