Royal Mail Group – Responsible Business Champion: Health and Wellbeing
Bupa Health and Wellbeing Award
Prioritising employee mental health through an intersectional approach is essential for the Royal Mail Group. Their five-year ‘Because Healthy Minds Matter’ strategy aims to improve worker wellbeing today, for a stronger workforce tomorrow.
Raising awareness and reducing the stigma around mental health conversations takes time, but we have already seen some great successes and remain committed and in it for the ‘long haul’Dr Shaun Davis, Global Director Compliance & Sustainability, Royal Mail Group
- To demonstrate its commitment to mental health, the Royal Mail Group (RMG) signed the ‘Time to Change Pledge’ with both Trade Unions (CWU & Unite/CMA) – the first organisation to take this approach.
- This was followed by an innovative partnership with the MH Foundation, and the development of five short bespoke awareness films. Over 8,000 employees have viewed these online. These films have now been adapted and released to the public so that others can benefit from the important messages they contain.
- Alongside Action for Children; Mind and Mental Health UK are also supported as its charity partners. In direct support of the Action for Children Campaign, Dr Shaun Davis (Global Director of Compliance and Sustainability) took part in the Action for Children CEO Sleep out in 2018, raising over £10,000 to contribute to the Blues Programme.
- In 2017 RMG launched its five-year MH strategy ‘Because Healthy Minds Matter’, combining group-wide programmes and local activity to support healthy minds with clear objectives.
- Its “Because Healthy Minds Matter” e-learning course developed in-house, gives managers the skills to support and signpost. The e-learning has been completed by over 9,500 (92%) of its managers. The e-learning is included in its manager induction and has been adapted and made available to 130,000 front-line colleagues via its Feeling First Class portal.
“At Royal Mail Group we are committed to further improving our employee’ s mental health and wellbeing. Our people are our biggest asset and therefore through our ‘Because Healthy Minds Matter’ activity we aspire to develop a culture where individuals feel supported and informed to take ownership for their own health, physical or mental, so that they can bring the best version of themselves to work, every-day. Raising awareness and reducing the stigma around mental health conversations takes time, but we have already seen some great successes and remain committed and in it for the ‘long haul’. The data is compelling in terms of the commercial requirement to maximise employee attendance and our corporate social responsibilities to give long term focus in this area. Fundamentally however, at the heart of this strategy, is the aim to improve the wellbeing of today’s employees and deliver a stronger workforce for the future,” Dr Shaun Davis, Global Director Compliance & Sustainability, Royal Mail Group.
TOGETHER WE CAN BECOME PARTNERS IN CHANGE
Sodexo – Responsible Business Champion: Environment
Sodexo, creating a Better Tomorrow
Octopus Energy – Responsible Business Champion: Environment
Octopus Energy. Doing energy better — for the community and the environment
Northumbrian Water Group – Responsible Business Champion: Environment
Northumbrian Water Group is caretakers of the water in its regions