RCT Homes has successfully created a coalition of public, private and voluntary organisations to build a more resilient and viable local community, centred on the focal point of the high street.
- Strengthened relationships – by working with 14 partner organisations and stakeholders, RCT Homes has strengthened relationships with its own supply chain and new business contacts.
- New skills – over 200 RCT Homes employees took part in the project, providing opportunities to develop team work, communication, project management and leadership skills.
- Enhanced reputation – by profiling the Penygraig project, RCT Homes have not only achieved press coverage across various titles, but also secured their reputation as an organisation capable of building strategic partnerships.
- Community investment – RCT Homes’ partner organisations gave over £80,000 of materials and equipment and over 1,200 hours of time to support the regeneration of the town centre.
- Increased footfall – working with local traders as part of the project has led to the high street experiencing a 53% increase in footfall.
- Improved digital access and skills – working with BT, RCT Homes introduced free wifi to the town and also provided digital training courses for traders.
RCT Homes was established in December 2007 following the transfer of Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council’s housing stock and currently employs over 400 people to manage and develop properties in the RCT area of South Wales.
Through consultation and engagement with traders, Penygraig high street was identified as central to the local community. With their expertise in building strategic relationships, RCT Homes saw an opportunity to help build a more resilient, sustainable community and create volunteering and profile opportunities for their organisation.
By working with companies large and small, with supply chain partners and with voluntary organisations, RCT Homes brought the community together to develop and grow itself. The group tackled physical improvements to the public realm, up-skilled of traders and worked with statutory bodies on issues like signage. Throughout this the links between RCT Homes and their partners and staff were strengthened.
“This is our most ambitious and ground breaking project to date, bringing together the wider business community in a show of unprecedented support for a whole community. The project included our local high street traders, schools, Valleys Kids and the local community. In so doing they have helped to raise the aspirations of Penygraig as a place which is building capacity for change and one year on is continuing to grow and is now influencing regeneration projects elsewhere in the borough.” - Andrew Lycett, CEO, RCT Homes