Phoenix Gas bases its business on supplying a more environmentally friendly alternative to fossil fuels while supporting environmental, education and community work and improving the well-being of its employees.
- Helping young people fulfil their potential through sponsorships and associations with sport academies, arts organisations, internships and the Energy for Children Charitable Trust.
- Improving the environment by removing and reducing the dependency of homes and businesses on fossil fuels, sharing energy efficiency advice with consumers and promoting environmental awareness both internally and externally.
- Improving the marketplace by only working with sustainable suppliers, promoting apprenticeship schemes and prioritising the health and well-being of staff.
- Increasing the reputation of natural gas as a long term alternative to other fuels.
- Developing trust among stakeholders and members of the local communities that Phoenix serves.
- Recruiting and retaining employees throughout the full reach of the business.
“ I passionately believe in the value and necessity for all companies to have integrated corporate responsibility practices that are endorsed at every level and actually underpin the main objectives of the business. ”
LIFE provides a framework for the range of initiatives to positively impact the marketplace, workplace, environment and community. It involves all staff and supports the company’s business objectives and continued year-on-year growth.
Phoenix has a long history of supporting young people through partnerships with organisations like the Gaelic Athletics Association and the Belfast Grand Opera House. It also has its own registered charity, Energy for Children Charitable Trust, which helps disadvantaged children in the communities it serves. In 2013, the charity reached two milestones: £400,000 raised and 6,000 young people helped through its work.
In environmental terms, by supplying a lower carbon fuel, Phoenix has prevented more than three million tonnes of carbon dioxide (CO2) from entering the atmosphere, with savings of around 275,000 tonnes of CO2 per year. Phoenix Energy Advisors also visited over 12,000 homes and businesses to provide essential energy awareness and saving advice.
Phoenix runs an award-winning apprenticeship scheme, which helps address local youth unemployment and invests in the health and well-being of its workforce. All staff can access a free, annual health check and safe driving courses are provided for those who drive as part of their job. The business benefits from low staff turnover and sickness rates as a result.
“The privilege of leading Phoenix Gas is an honour and a testament to the importance we place on being responsible in business. The Business in the Community national awards for excellence are the most credible and influential benchmark, which celebrate responsible business in action. The awards set a high standard that we continually strive to achieve and exceed.
“I passionately believe in the value and necessity for all companies to have integrated corporate responsibility practices that are endorsed at every level and actually underpin the main objectives of the business.”
Peter Dixon, CEO, Pheonix Gas