Princes Gate Spring Water is a bottled water manufacturer based in Pembrokeshire, West Wales. Manufacturing still, sparkling and flavoured water in a variety of pack sizes, Princes Gate has successful listings across supermarkets and convenience stores across the UK.
Good for business
- Low turnover – record low levels of staff turnover, with all employees now having a career progression plan in place
- Reduced waste – new ways of working have resulted in only 1% of waste now going to landfill and with electricity generated on-site, production at Princes Gate is a carbon neutral operation
- Cost savings – through investments in on-site bottling, the company is saving third party warehousing costs of around £350,000 a year
Good for society
- Green investment – with two 500kW wind turbines on-site, the business is fully self-sustainable and carbon neutral; an achievement which is receiving third party accolades
- Hydrate to concentrate – after a pilot programme in Pembrokeshire, Princes Gate is going to be providing bottled water to all GCSE students during exam periods
- Community engagement – Princes Gate works closely with local sports and community groups and has recently established its own Trust to support smaller charities
Originally borne out of a farm diversification initiative in 1991, Princes Gate now has its bottled water in stores as diverse as Tesco and Harrods. The company is still privately owned and managed by its founder, David Jones, with an unwavering commitment to ethical and environmental behaviour. Going beyond the statutory and regulatory requirements, the business is now fully self-sustainable with on-site bottling and on-site electricity generation recently having been installed.
The founding principles of sustainability flow throughout the entire business and is inextricably linked with the brand itself. With clear direction from the top, the senior management teams cascade this commitment down to their teams and eventually out to customers. From logistics which are monitored to assess CO2 emissions, to bottle production which was recently taken in house to save money and reduce the volume of PET (by 30%) – Princes Gate walks the talk. The company is clear however there must also be a profitable business model which sits behind the environmental aspirations; but they also know that one can feed the other.
With a brand overhaul now largely complete and the new manufacturing plant in place, staff numbers have increased, as has turnover, up to a record £10mn. The company has refreshed its approach to working with community and sport groups locally and took the brave step to establish its own Trust to work with smaller organisations in the local area.
Princes Gate has put its environmental and sustainability money where its mouth is and now the brand is stronger than it has been and the company is moving from strength to strength.
What Princes Gate’s Founder and Managing Director said:
“The Princes Gate brand has been brought to life and is a true reflection of our company ethos. Responsible business practices form the bedrock of the business, and people comment about the passion that exudes from all staff about what we are accomplishing – both in terms of building a strong brand in Wales and beyond and doing so responsibly and in a way which gives back to our community.” – David Jones, Founder & Managing Director, Princes Gate Spring Water