Home entertainment and communications company Sky has released its latest sustainability report exclusively online, outlining their overall vision, initiatives and approach to building a better, more sustainable business.
Sky grew over the year with the acquisition of Sky Deutschland and Sky Italia and now employs almost 30,000 people, reaching 21 million customers across Europe. Sky’s report reflects this expanded Group, leading with a new video to highlight what they are doing. They have brought to life the links between the three focus areas of their strategy, positive contribution, responsible business and inspiring action, and their lead measures through an animated infographic.
As the key achievements demonstrate, Sky has made good progress against their main targets of halving their carbon intensity and reaching one million young people through Sky Academy – both by 2020.
The video, infographic and full report detailing Sky’s overall approach and progress can be accessed at sky.com/biggerpicture.
- Contributing £7.6bn to GDP across the business
- Establishing group-wide carbon intensity baseline and maintaining their carbon neutral status
- Helping over 140,000 young people build their skills and experience through initiatives across the UK, Ireland, Germany, Austria and Italy – with 81% of students who participated in Sky Academy Skills Studio rating themselves higher in at least one key
- 100% of suppliers with more than £100k spend independently assessed for inherent risk
- Staff engagement 23% higher than the UK average benchmark for large companies
- Reporting Group gender diversity and detailing commitments in this area which include the development and support of leadership pipeline through Women in Leadership initiative
- £9.3 million raised for Sky Rainforest Rescue, including £4 million matched by Sky. As a result, 7.3 million people are now more aware of the issue of deforestation; 1 billion trees saved in north west Brazil saving over 3.7 million tonnes of carbon emi
- 1.7m more people cycling regularly since 2009