The Responsible Business Tracker®
HELPING BUSINESS TO FIND OUT HOW RESPONSIBLE THEY ARE
STRENGTH IN NUMBERS TO UNLOCK OPPORTUNITY
What is the Responsible Business Tracker®?
The Responsible Business Tracker® is a measurement tool available to all Business in the Community (BITC) members. It enables an assessment of performance as a responsible business by tracking progress against BITC’s Responsible Business Map™, which was built on the UN’s Global Goals or Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
What is Responsible Business?
Your organisation or sector may call this work Corporate Responsibility (CR), Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), Environmental Social and Governance (ESG), Sustainability or Corporate Citizenship but at BITC we call it Responsible Business (RB).
What does the Responsible Business Tracker® offer?
The Responsible Business Tracker® offers:
- benchmarking against sector peers and the overall cohort;
- gap analysis in RB activities;
- the opportunity for recognition of leading practice, improvement and innovation via a scoring mechanism. The scoring data can be leveraged internally to create traction for change; the Responsible Business Tracker® helps businesses identify areas of strength and opportunities for leadership and sharing of best practice. It is also a route to recognition.
Why complete the Responsible Business Tracker®?
It is comprehensive yet manageable in size; bespoke while still allowing comparison between businesses. It provides qualitative insights alongside quantitative scores. It is impact-focused, and aligned with the Global Goals. It covers the responsible business agenda, caters for medium and large businesses and enables members to work with their relationship managers to plan how to make the best use of the tools BITC offers to achieve positive change.
By completing the Responsible Business Tracker® your organisation will receive:
- access to insights showing business performance, sector and industry trends, innovative case studies and practical guidance;
- rigorous BITC assessment, followed by individualised scored reports with benchmarking data and actions for improvement;
- supporting guidance notes with best practice examples;
- support from the dedicated The Responsible Business Tracker® team during the submission process.
The Responsible Business Tracker® is designed to be completed every other year to give participants time to implement change, however annual submissions are welcome.
What does the submission process look like?
The survey is hosted on the market-leading Qualtrics platform.
The survey questions are organised in line with BITC’s Responsible Business Map™ and split into two sections:
- The Inner Map questions assess the extent to which businesses are integrating responsible business into their business model.
- The Outer Map questions build on this and assess the extent to which businesses are creating societal and environmental value.
The majority of the questions offer multiple responses and participants can select as many as apply to their own business. The survey also includes some qualitative questions for participants to provide narrative on their activities.
Why is the tracker a core membership benefit?
The Responsible Business Tracker® is core to BITC membership as it enables each member to work with their relationship manager to plan how they can best engage with BITC to drive improvement. As the Responsible Business Tracker® is scored, it records improvement over time, so companies can benchmark performance.
Can non-members take part?
The Responsible Business Tracker® is also available to non-members for a one-off fee. If you are interested in finding out more please contact The Responsible Business Tracker® team.
The development of the Responsible Business Tracker®
The Responsible Business Tracker® was developed following consultation with over 200 businesses, non governmental organisations (NGOs), government and international partners; rigorous research of benchmarks, indices & standards markets, and informed by learnings from BITC’s experience of benchmarking.
The Responsible Business Tracker® has recently been through a rigorous update in light of previous participants’ feedback and the significant developments in RB over the past year. This includes the shift in focus brought about by COVID-19. The new and improved Tracker is launching in January 2021.