BITC responds to update on UK inflation
The Office for National Statistics (ONS) has today released new figures showing that inflation has remained at 6.7%. Commenting on this, Mary Macleod, Chief Executive of Business in the Community, said:
“The rate of inflation remaining the same is a stark reminder of the economic challenges that we face across the country, with many people unable to afford everyday essentials. We are moving into the colder winter months, during which many people’s energy bills will rise as they start heating their homes, putting more of a financial strain on families across the UK.
“We continue to encourage and work with businesses to ensure that their employees, customers, clients, and suppliers are receiving the support that they need. Through our Cost of Living Taskforce work, we see many employers who are giving great support to those across their workforce. We ask employers to pay the Real Living Wage and provide enhanced flexible working options, alongside making products and services affordable, to help ease the financial worries that many are experiencing.”
BITC’s cost-of-living action plan calls on businesses to ensure that they are doing everything they can to reduce the impact of the cost-of-living crisis on employees, consumers, suppliers, and community organisations. The calls to action include:
- Pay the Real Living Wage to employees and contractors
- Ensure employees have the option to work flexibly
- Understand the needs of your lower-income and vulnerable customers, and how the cost-of-living crisis will impact them
- Provide products and services that are genuinely affordable to increase choice for lower-income consumers
- Share goods and equipment with community organisations that are working with lower-income and vulnerable people.
- Support your supply chain to reduce their energy and resource use
Notes to editor
- Read the full Business in the Community Cost of Living Action Plan for Businesses
For further information, please contact Polly Dacam, Press Officer, at 07713 101878.