Accelerating to net zero with the circular economy
This Accelerating to Net zero with the Circular Economy factsheet helps businesses to think more holistically about emissions, including how these might spread throughout supply chains.
To date, most business and government responses to the climate crisis have focused primarily on emissions associated with energy use. This approach, taken on its own, fails to address the hidden carbon impacts from the whole lifecycle of the products which we buy and use. These range from material extraction, to manufacturing, distribution, operation, and disposal.
All businesses are responsible for reporting the indirect emissions across the various stage of the product lifecycle (known as Scope 3 emissions).
To reduce these lifecycle emissions, we must think about more effective ways to manage the flow of materials in order to consume less and meet society’s needs. This is where the circular economy can accelerate pathways to lower emissions.
About this factsheet
The Accelerating to Net zero with the Circular Economy factsheet provides information on:
- defining the circular economy
- the lifecycle phases of a product
- redesigning business models
- practical steps to adopt circular approaches
- jargon busting
- further guidance
How Business in the Community can support your organisation
- We are supporting Business in the Community (BITC) members to set net zero carbon targets that align to the United Nations’ target to limit temperature rises to 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels. If you have not already, join us. We have resources, expert advice, and support from other members to help.
- If you are a BITC member speak to your relationship manager about an environmental advisory services package to get bespoke support for your business.
- Join our Net Zero Carbon Taskforce to collaborate with other businesses at the forefront of the journey.
Thanks to BITC Net Zero Carbon Taskforce for their expertise and insights in producing this guide.