Opening Doors: insight at the midpoint of the campaign
Opening Doors is Business in the Community’s (BITC) inclusive recruitment campaign. Launched in 2022, we have an ambition to make two million jobs more accessible to diverse talent by 2025 by asking employers to commit to making specific changes to the way they recruit. At the midpoint of the campaign, we undertook some analysis of employer commitments and their progress towards them.
Read our factsheet for a summary of the findings.
About Opening Doors
Opening Doors calls on employers to make changes to the way they recruit so that their jobs become more accessible to all jobseekers, regardless of background and life experience. Working in collaboration with a wide range of organisations supporting diverse candidates, we identified 25 actions that would improve access to jobs. The actions are grouped under five ‘keys’ to inclusive recruitment:
- Create partnerships that connect untapped talent to your jobs.
- Show candidates that you are committed to inclusion.
- Use comprehensive job adverts with inclusive language.
- Focus on the essential skills needed to do the job.
- Prioritise accessibiity and eliminate bias.
READY TO BECOME AN OPENING
Frequently Asked Questions
BITC members benefit from a range of support to help them achieve the campaign asks,
including the following:
- Advisory services – topics include inclusion, partnerships & social impact
- Employment programmes
● Job Coaching – (national)
● STEP programme supporting Refugees (Yorkshire & Humber, Bristol and
Coventry) Y&H – Leeds, Sheffield and Bradford
- Content – Inclusive Employment toolkit, case studies and best practice guides
- Events – webinars, peer learning forums, leadership roundtables
- Regions & nations – connecting to partners & responding to local need
Don’t hesitate to contact your BITC Relationship Manager for more details.
Once you have submitted your expression of interest, a member of
the team at BITC will share the campaign sign-up form. You will be asked to tell us:
- which actions you will be taking forward (minimum of three from across the five keys )
- an estimate of the number of roles that will be impacted by each action
- the anticipated date of completion.
We ask for this information so we can provide support to help you take action and track
progress towards our goal of two million roles influenced by the campaign.