Every single business in the UK must take action to avert the climate crisis. Business in the Community’s (BITC) network of organisations is working with us to take climate action. With its enormous potential to reduce greenhouse gas emissions creating a circular economy is an essential part of tackling the crisis.
CLIMATE ACTION: THE TIME IS NOW
- The Ellen MacArthur Foundation estimates that energy efficiency and grid decarbonisation will be able to achieve 55% of the emissions reduction necessary to limit global temperature rises to 1.5 degrees by 20501. However, the remaining 45% reduction will have to come from tackling the overlooked emissions associated with carbon intensive products and food.
- Circle Economy estimate that circular strategies could cut global greenhouse gas emissions by 39%2
- Green Alliance argue the circular economy could deliver 80% of the emissions reduction needed to meet the UK’s fifth carbon budget (2028 to 2033).3
The circular economy tends to be poorly implemented in businesses.
- Only 16% of Responsible Business Tracker® respondents embed circular economy in their strategy.
- Only 23% of Responsible Business Tracker® consider circular economy in their procurement.
This is despite the World Economic Forum reporting circular economy and material efficiency as being the lowest cost method of reducing supply chain emissions. On average each tonne of carbon reduced through circular methods comes at a cost of less that €104.
BITC is calling for all companies to embrace circular economy practices as a core aspect of their climate action plan.
- Prioritise circular economy principles within organisational strategy, as set out in BITC’s Seven Steps for Climate Action to ensure a fair and just transition to a resilient, net-zero future.
- Measure the carbon impact of circular economy projects. Read examples of how BITC members have achieved carbon reduction by taking a circular economy approach.
- Share your story to inspire others to scale up circular economy approaches to deliver climate action. Contact your Relationship Manager to find out how you can be a leader in this area. If you are not sure how to do this log into MyBITC to view their contact details or contact us to find out your Relationship Manager’s name.
CLIMATE ACTION: THE TIME IS NOW
Seven Steps for Climate Action
Ensure your business model is climate proof and contributes to a future where people can thrive.
How to Tackle Suppliers’ Emissions: a guide for procurers
This guide, produced by BITC and CDP, for sustainability and procurement professionals discusses approaches for managing Scope 3 emissions in supply chains.
Material gains: upcycling at Jaguar Land Rover
Read how automotive company Jaguar Land Rover has used circular thinking to reclaim materials from end-of-life products and reuse them to make new products more sustainable.
Currys: the power of repairing
Read how technology products and services retailer Currys has used circular thinking to inform their core business model bringing about significant carbon and cost savings.
JLL UK: embracing the circular office
This case study outlines how commercial real estate services company JLL has used circular thinking in the refurbishment of their Manchester office.
TOGETHER WE CAN CHANGE THE WORLD
- Ellen MacArthur Foundation (2021) Completing the Picture – How the circular economy tackles climate change
- Circle Economy (2021) Circular economy strategies can cut global emissions by 39%, 26 January
- edie (2021) Report: Circular economy could deliver 80% of UK’s next carbon budget, 15 July
- World Economic Forum, Net Zero Challenge: The supply chain opportunity, Insights Report, January 2021