Social mobility: Delivering Change Through Essential Skills
Please register/log in to view this content
This toolkit, Social Mobility: Delivering Change Through Essential Skills has been developed to support business in taking action against growing inequalities.
Social mobility – or the link between a person’s occupation or income and the occupation or income
of their parents – has remained stubbornly fixed in the UK for generations.
Why is social mobility a business issue?
Research highlights that the three main business benefits of addressing social mobility are:
- Meeting new stakeholder and consumer expectations for businesses
- Improving diversity within your organisation
- Tackling shortages of talent. 1
Business in the Community (BITC) is calling on business to take the following actions.
- kickstart new careers
- open up your recruitment process
- restructure responsibly
Download the toolkit to find out more on how employers have adopted the Skills Builder Universal Framework to provide a measurable way to build essential skills like creativity, problem solving, and teamwork with young people from the UK’s most disadvantaged areas. You can find out too, how to ensure that every individual is able to access opportunities within your organisation by opening up your recruitment processes.
Learn more about the campaign for essential skills at BITC
Essential skills are critical to every individual and every business.
We ask businesses to:
- Recognise essential skills among their workforce, using the common language of the Skills Builder Universal Framework.
- Develop essential skills in their current and future workforce using consistent language and steps from the Skills Builder Universal Framework.
- Promote essential skills as the #skillsweneed with their partners and join our call for Government to make essential skills development part of the national curriculum, giving this equal weight alongside knowledge
The eight essential skills
Aiming High -Creativity- Leadership- Listening- Problem Solving-Speaking- Staying Positive-Teamwork