Take The Readiness Test and receive free downloadable advice to discover quick, simple actions that could make your business more resilient overnight
Severe and inclement weather can hit at any time and businesses of all sizes can suffer their consequences for example, almost 5,000 business were affected in the 2015-2016 floods1; two-thirds of businesses (65%) in Cumbria suffered a negative impact from the 2015 storms and floods2
Part of the work of the Defra Property Flood Resilience Roundtable has been to develop a new code of practice that will lay out a clear set of standards for adapting your property to be better protected against flooding. The new guide will be released for user testing at the end of March and the fully published version ready by the end of 2019.
Business in the Community Resources
- Podcast: The Lens on how individuals and businesses can be better prepared for a worst-case scenario
- Business in the Community have created a quick to complete guide for creating your own bespoke emergency plan, which provides practical steps to help prepare your business for a range of disruptive events.
- Flood guidance website - This free resource includes a section for businesses and provides step-by-step guidance of what to do in the event of a flood, information on who to contact following this flood and how to minimise the impact of future flooding.
- Sign up for weather alert warnings from the Met Office.
- Sign-up for free flood warnings for
1.Environment Agency (2018) Estimating the costs of the winter floods 2015 – 2016 report. Available at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/floods-of-winter-2015-to-2016...
2.BMG Research (2016) Cumbria Business Survey 2015/16 – Flood Impact Report. Available at https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/eLibrary/Content/Internet/536/671/4674/17217/...