The Mid-Life MOT: Helping employees navigate mid-life
This toolkit provides practical support for senior and HR managers to retain more of your ageing workforce through offering staff a mid-life MOT. This is an important tool that can drive retention rates for older workers and promote a more age-inclusive approach. It does this by providing a framework in which employees, typically in their 40s, 50s and 60s, can review work and its interaction with their personal lives across three themes: job, health and money. As a result, employees can make realistic plans for their future and employers can identify ways to support them. To help you implement a mid-life MOT in your business this toolkit offers a range of options, drawn from pilots and best practice from the most forward-thinking companies.
How to implement a mid-life MOT programme
- Management buy-in – HR to communicate purpose and business case to senior management and C-suite.
- HR development – Pilot and develop the mid-life MOT.
- Negotiate with providers – Negotiate and develop the elements you will be delivering via external providers.
- Training for line managers – Develop and deliver line manager training.
- Communication – Communicate purpose and content to all staff, but targeting those you think will most value from taking part.
- Delivery – Delivery of the planned programme fully supported by internal policies and procedures.
Employers who do not have HR support but would like to offer a support to employees can get advice from the Government’s mid-life MOT web page.